Monday, July 14, 2008

Chiang Mai

I'm back in Chiang Mai! I survived the motorbike trip from Dalat to Ho Chi Minh City, just made my flight to Bangkok, and the next day flew up to Chiang Mai. I have been here almost 4 days and it has been so lovely to see everyone! I have spent a lot of time on my feet exploring parts of the city, and Doi Suthep, that I didn't get the chance to see before. I have also been spending time with the students when they are not too busy working on their thesis projects. Since we left last time, Art and Fang have planted some black sticky rice that they are working with for their projects, and the other students are all quite busy too, but I'm not sure what they are studying specifically. Tonight we will have a last dinner and going away celebration, at Riverside, a restaurant on the river, as the name suggests. Or at least thats what I think will happen. As I've mentioned before, I miss a lot of the details and back-and-forth that happens. We are doing something tonight though, this I know. Moe came into Chiang Mai last night. She has been in a village near Mae Chaem, where she is doing her research on subsistence farming. We walked around the Sunday Walking Street, where Moe unfortunately had her camera stolen out of her bag :( Then we ate some delicious foods and she stayed at my hotel with me. Today we got up early, had some more delicious foods, and came to the MCC (Multiple Cropping Center). We went to lunch with the students at a buffet that was having its grand opening. It was very very delicious and very unlike American buffets :) Also, it cost less than a dollar, which is amazing, as always.
Since then we've been hanging around, drinking coffee, talking to Dr. Sakda, etc. Soon we are going to go play badminton, which I'm very excited about. They are serious about it here. When I arrived last week, I went and watched them play but wasn't wearing good clothes to participate, but today I am prepared!
Tomorrow, I fly back to Bangkok in the morning and then the next day it is back to California!!! I am very excited and sad all at the same time. I have greatly enjoyed my time traveling, especially Chiang Mai! I will miss the new friends I have made, but am also very happy to have had this experience!

And now I am going to go play badminton, see you so soon!!!

Much love,
Katie

No comments: